Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

More Love


More love to thee, O Christ, More love to thee!
Hear thou the prayer I make On bended knee;
This is my earnest plea, More love, O Christ, to thee,
More love to thee, More love to thee!

Once earthly joy I craved, Sought peace and rest;
Now thee alone I see; Give what is best;
This all my prayer shall be, More love, O Christ, to thee,
More love to thee, More love to thee!

Let sorrow do its work, Send grief and pain;
Sweet are thy messengers, Sweet their refrain,
When they can sing with me, More love, O Christ, to thee,
More love to thee, More love to thee!

Then shall my latest breath Whisper thy praise;
This be the parting cry My heart shall raise,
This still its prayer shall be, More love, O Christ, to thee,
More love to thee, More love to thee! ~

~ Written in 1856 during a time of illness and sorrow over the loss of her two children. It was published in 1869. Other than Stepping Heavenward, it is her best known work.


2 comments:

  1. I had no idea of the background of this beautiful hymn, Maxine. I am so glad that you are doing this blog. She was a remarkable Christian woman and i hope to glean much from her words.
    Blessings to you,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this hymn, Laurie. The third stanza really says it all as to what Mrs. Prentiss was going through.

    Laurie, I so appreciate your spirit and support that you always give. You're a blessing.

    ReplyDelete