Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Do We See Plants Growing?


January 1, 1842, Katy went to visit Mrs. Campbell and recorded some of their conversation: [From Stepping Heavenward]

"I have a great many little trials, but they don't do me a bit of good. Or, at least, I don't see that they do."

"No, we never see plants growing," she said.

"And do you really think then, that perhaps I am growing, though unconsciously?"

"I know you are, dear child. There can't be life without growing."

This comforted me, I came home, praying all the way and striving to commit myself entirely to Him in whose school I sit as a learner. Oh, that I were a better scholar! But I do not half learn my lessons, I am heedless and inattentive, and I forget what is taught. Perhaps this is the reason that weighty truths float before my mind's eye at times but do not fix themselves there.

[Can't we all identify in this as we do so much else insofar as Katy is concerned? ~ mr]

2 comments:

  1. I do so relate to this, Maxine, I am so thankful that "He who began a good work in me will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." (Phil. 1:6) This post is a wonderful reminder of His grace and mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very very true, Laurie. So nice hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete